Wednesday, 13 August 2014

What I've Been Reading:
a surprising novel and a graphic take on one of my fave books.

I'd heard a tonne of great stuff about the debut novel by Helene Wecker and couldn't resist snapping it up while it was on offer for £1.99 on Kindle. At over 800 pages, it was a bit of a hefty read but it sucked me in straight away and I couldn't put it down. I'm not really sure how to explain this novel though. I guess it's one of those books you need to read to understand. As the title suggests, it's about a Golem and a Djinni who stumble across each other in the melting pot of 19th Century New York. 

Chava is a Golem. Created by a rather shady guy with arcane knowledge, she was made to the specifics of a man in need of a wife. But on the journey over to the New World, Chava's husband (and Master) dies, leaving her to navigate the human world alone.

Ahmad, on the other hand is a Djinni, a desert spirit who, after being trapped in a jar for around a thousand years, finds himself stuck in human form in a strange and foreign country.

This is a hypnotizing novel, bringing the mythology of two ancient cultures vividly to life. It was enchanting and surreal and entirely heart-warming. And I really want to read more!

The Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson is one of my favourite sequences of books. I love the characters, the plot, everything about them really. So when I realised that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo had been transformed into a graphic novel, I knew I had to check it out. And it worked so well! Nothing was lost from the narrative and the visual depictions of the characters were spot on. I'll definitely be reading the sequels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x