Tuesday, 11 February 2014

How to Make a Calm Jar

I've been seeing these glitter "calm jars" all over the internet lately and while the idea is that parents use them as an alternative to the traditional "time-out" punishment, I think they have value in other contexts. When used with children, the idea is that the child focuses on the swirling glitter, and as it soothes them, they reflect on the situation that has made them frustrated or angry or upset.

Well that seemed like the perfect thing for ME to use when I'm feeling anxious or wound up and I decided to make my own relaxing calm jar. If you fancy making one for yourself or your child, here's what you need to do...

You will need ::

  • a clean jar that won't leak. You can buy Mason jars in hardware shops but I decided to use the jar from the pasta bake we had for dinner last night!
  • several tubes of glitter glue in various colours
  • several tubes of regular glitter in various colours (fine glitter works best)
  • any other sparkly things you want to add
  • Nail varnish or something similar if you want to paint the lid of your jar.
Because I didn't want a lovely glittery jar with a blue 'Homepride' lid, I decided to paint it with some old nail polish I don't really wear. This one has a glitter sheen to it, which I thought would work well with the theme of the jar. I did this first so that it would have time to dry while I did everything else.

You're going to need hot water for the jar so you might as well have it ready.

Select the colours you want to use (I chose purple, silver, blue and gold) and squirt roughly half of each tube into the jar (I may have used the whole tube of purple lol). Using glitter glue makes the liquid more viscous and means that the glitter will remain in motion for longer before settling.

Pour it straight from the kettle or use a jug. Obviously if kids are involved, wait for the water to cool a little and maybe use a funnel. The water needs to be pretty warm to stop the glitter glue from clumping.

I used a full tube of purple, gold and silver glitter which may have been overkill (I had to fish some out later on as there was a whole lot resting on top of the water), so half a tube of each colour will probably be enough. As you can tell, a lot of this was guesswork.

Stirring just helps stop any clumps from forming. But obviously the fork is going to be quite a mess and if like me you don't fancy trying to get all that crap off your cutlery, use something old.

I put all my glitter tubes on a piece of A4 paper so that when I'd finished I could roll everything up and put it straight in the bin. Easy and no having to clean the kitchen sides.

Give the jar a shake and watch the glittery chaos unfold before your eyes.

(Sorry about the dodgy gif, I've never made one before)

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this! It looks great too, the colour is lovely. I'll be attempting this soon. Xxx

    ps: I think your gif is quite amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally do it. It's so soothing xxx

      Delete
  2. What an interesting idea! I work in a secondary school as the librarian and I think that there's a few kids that could do with something like this (not to mention myself....)
    Thanks for posting such an interesting article.
    Laila x

    www.lailamurphy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a fun and useful idea. I think it would work great with teenage girls. I know I would have loved to have one when I was a teenager :)
      xx

      Delete

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x