Monday, 3 February 2014

Athens :: January 2014

J and I went on a three day city break to Athens at the end of last month. I'm not really into the idea of giving you all a really detailed description of our time there but I thought it might be cool to share some of our photos. Unfortunately, all the photos were taken on either my mobile phone or with my old Olympus point and shoot so I'm not as happy with them as I would have been with my Nikon DSLR but the area we stayed in is notorious for pickpockets etc and I didn't want to risk losing my camera.

I had some awesome photos of the view from the plane - we had a great view of some mountains. But my phone has somehow deleted about 50 photos with no explanation and no way of getting them back. I'm gutted but that's the perils of modern technology I guess. It wouldn't have happened if we were still using film cameras. Anyway, I digress... Have a little taste of Athens to brighten your day.

 Our hotel had a rooftop terrace and this was the view:



The main reason we wanted to go to Athens was to see the Acropolis. Luckily we had a dry day and got the chance to head up there and admire the view.


 I loved the Temple of Athena. It's hard to believe it's been standing for two and a half thousand years.

It was kind of hard to get a decent photo of the Parthenon without getting the scaffolding in the shot. They're doing major maintenance work to try and preserve the ancient site.

But the view from up there was amazing. Being in Athens is like being in a sort of bowl surrounded by mountains. I've never seen such stunning views.

 There were so many stray cats in the city. And I think J might have stopped to stroke all of them.
This beautiful calico / tabby mix was my favourite. Although there was also an adorable tortoiseshell near our hotel.

 Hadrian's Arch showed an interesting juxtaposition of Ancient relics and a rapidly growing city.


 And the temple of Zeus really makes you wonder how these things have stood the test of time.


 There were lots of amazing statues around the place.
But also a lot of graffiti, some of which was more like art than your typical street tag. This is the only decent picture I got of any. I think people would have been a bit put out by a tourist photographing the negative side of their city.
As well as stray cats, there were also tonnes of stray dogs. You couldn't walk a mile without passing at least one. This one was totally un-moved by the changing of the guards going on around him.

There are lots of little touristy things in Athens and one of them was this slightly bizarre but really cute idea of feeding pigeons while having your photo taken. We got two instax photos for €8, which I don't think was too bad for a quirky little memento.
I'll leave you with a photo of myself I'm actually happy with. As usual, J would prefer not to feature to prominently in my blog so I've given her a little make-over.



3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks :) It was a really interesting place to visit.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I want to go to Athens! It looks such an awe-inspiring place. Love the kitty pics :) Lovely last photo too. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x