Wednesday, 27 November 2013

That Post Novel Slump

So, I've finished the first (very rough) draft of my novel. Finally. I mean, I've only been trying to do it for ten years!

I've decided to go straight into the editing process while it's still all fresh in my mind. The picture above gives you a brief glimpse into the way I'm working. I'm basically reading through a chapter, working out what I need to fix and change or add in to make the plot work. I  make a whole load of notes and then sit down and re-write the scene. It seems to be working fairly well.

But...

today I'm just not feeling motivated. I think I've hit a bit of a slump, burnt myself out with the heavy writing schedule I've been keeping. With being off work, I've been treating it like a day job, sitting down to write at 8am and staying at my desk right through to 7pm (obviously I have toilet breaks and stop for lunch etc).

Today I feel mentally tired, in need of a break. Usually, I'd turn to a good book to chill out but something weird has happened. Over the last four weeks, I haven;t been reading. I've been so absorbed in my own story that I just haven't found time to pick up a book and read. 

And now...

I'm finding myself struggling to get into any of the books I've picked up. It's frustrating. Before I started writing, I was in the process of reading three books and I've had to give up on them because I can't focus on them. What's with that? 

So, right now I'm feeling a little frustrated and a little at a loss when it comes to what to do. Just thought I'd share those pointless ramblings with you all. I hope you're having a great Wednesday xx

1 comment:

  1. Hope you find some motivation....I felt like that yesterday....Today is better!
    Hope tomorrow is better for you x

    ReplyDelete

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x