Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Another book quiz...

I saw this over on Nova's blog and couldn't resist doing it...

Author you've read the most books from?
That's probably Laurell K Hamilton. I've read up to book thirteen in her Anita Blake series and a couple of her Merry Gentry series.

Best sequel ever?
'The Drawing of the Three' by Stephen King. It's the second book in his 'Dark Tower' series and it really made me want to continue reading the series. The first book was a bit bizarre to be honest but with the second book, things started pulling together a little.

currently reading?
I'm in this weird phase at the moment where I can't focus on just one book. I'm reading three books at the moment: 'The Stand' by Stephen King, 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' by J.K. Rowling and an ARC copy of 'The Lair' by Emily McKay. 

drink of choice while reading?
Anything warm. Hot chocolate, tea, coffee. Preferably with a barrel of biscuits by my side!

e-reader or physical book?
This is where I get a bit squirmy. If you knew me two years ago, you would have heard me rant on a regular basis about how e-readers were ruining the publishing industry and how you would never catch me using one. And then I discovered the Kindle android app and it all went downhill from there. About six months ago I bought myself a Kindle and I haven't looked back. Don't get me wrong, I could never do all of my reading on a Kindle - I love real books far too much. You can't beat physically turning pages and seeing the battered covers of your favourite, well-read tomes. But e-readers are pretty cool. I mean, at the moment I'm reading two pretty thick, heavy books, which I would loath to carry round with me. Having my Kindle means that I can read another book on there that I can carry round with me. I'll never stop reading physical books and I will probably always choose a real book over an electronic one but I have seen the positive side of having a Kindle.

fictional character you probably would have dated in high school?
I didn't do much any dating in High School but if I had, I probably would have dated, or at least wanted to date, Margo Roth Spiegelman from John Green's 'Paper Towns'.

glad you gave this book a chance?
Two work-friends both recommended that I read 'Sing You Home' by Jodi Picoult. I put it off because I really didn't think her books would be my kind of thing. I had this idea in my head that her books were for middle aged housewives. But I decided I really had nothing to lose by reading it. And I'm so glad I did because the book was exactly the kind of heartbreaking that I love.

hidden gem book?
'World Enough and Time' by Emma C. Williams. Everyone needs to read this book.

important moment in your reading life?
Probably when I was about twelve years old and I discovered 'Sophie's World' by Jostein Gaarder. That book changed my life.

just finished?
'Stranger With My Face' by Lois Duncan

kinds of books you won't read?
I'm not really into erotica so you would never catch me reading books like '50 Shades of Grey'.

longest book you've read?
That's got to be 'The Stand' by Stephen King.

major book hangover because of?
When I finished the last book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King I was totally bummed out by the fact that it was all over. I wanted to be back in that world.

number of bookcases you own?
two tall ones and three mid height ones. And yes, they're all full. I've had to resort to stacking books on top of each other, which is something I hate doing.




one book you have read multiple times?
'Sophie's World' by Jostein Gaarder. I've read it so much that I've gone through three copies because I've worn the spines out!

preferred place to read?
I'll read pretty much anywhere but I absolutely love reading in bed, especially in the day. I love it when I have nothing to do and can just curl up in bed with a book.

quote that inspires you / gives all the feels from a book you've read?


reading regret?
I went through a phase of reading books I thought I should read. You know, like reading certain classics because I felt like people would look down on me if I hadn't read them. Finally I learnt that all that crap shouldn't matter and decided to just read the books that I want to read and screw everyone else.

series you started and need to finish (all the books are out in the series)?
Well, I read all but the last of Anne Rice's 'Vampire Chronicles' back when I was in sixth form. I should really get around to reading the last book 'Blood Canticle' at some point.

three of your all time favourite books?
You do realise that this is like asking a Mother to pick her favourite child, don't you? But here goes... 'Prozac Nation' by Elizabeth Wurtzel, 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt and 'Sophie's World' by Jostein Gaarder.

unapologetic fangirl for?
Seeing as I'm currently attempting to complete my Stephen King Challenge (I'm reading all of his books in the order they were published), I'd have to say Stephen King. I'd love to write as well as he does. He's amazing.

very excited for this release more than all the others?
I don't really know to be honest. There's nothing I'm desperately waiting for at the moment.

worst bookish habit?
My current habit of reading multiple books at once is annoying me a little. I'd never done it until recently and I don't really know why I've started doing it. My other bad habit is buying books and leaving them on the shelves for years before I get around to reading them. My problem is I can't resist a bargain book. If I find a book I want to read in a charity shop, I have to give it a home, despite the fact I already have tonnes on my to be read list.

x marks the spot : start at the top left of your shelves and pick the 27th book?

My books are all alphabetised. The 27th book on my shelves is 'Voice of the Gods' by Trudi Canavan.

your latest book purchase?
Amazon recently had Gillian Flynn's books for 99p each on Kindle, and after loving 'Sharp Objects', I couldn't resist buying 'Gone Girl' and 'Dark Places'. The most recent physical book I bought was probably 'An Abundance of Katherine's' and 'Looking for Alaska' both by John Green.

zzz-snatcher book (the last book that kept you up late reading?
That was actually 'Queen's Gambit' by Elizabeth Fremantle. It's not my usual kind of read (historical novelisation) but I absolutely loved it and couldn't put it down.

If you're reading this, consider yourself tagged. Feel free to post the link to your own answers below :)

And if you want to read more about my favourite books, why not pop over to Jane's blog and read my guest post.

I hope you're all having a great Wednesday x


4 comments:

  1. This is such a good quiz, I may do it myself in the next few days! I used to have the same rant about e-readers but I do love my Kindle - it makes it so easy! But I'll never stop buying hard copies completely xx
    www.LaurasHaven.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading peoples answers to these kind of quizzes x

      Delete
  2. it was really fun reading this! love bookshelf pics too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist doing it when I saw it. These things are so fun. I wanted to take photos of all my shelves but there are just too many!
      xxx

      Delete

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x