Monday, 23 September 2013

What I've Been Reading ::
'My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary' by Rae Earl

Firstly, I want to confess that I haven't watched the E4 television version they made of this. I've been wanting to read this for ages but was put off by the fact that it all happened in 1989 when i was like three years old. I was pretty sure that all the historical relevance would be wasted on me. But I found it cheap on Amazon and decided to finally give it a go.

And I can say that the Financial Times quote on the cover: "Funnier, sadder and ruder than Adrian Mole' is so, so true. (And this is coming from a girl who read those books growing up, yeah, even The Cappuccino Years!)

Rae Earl is so bloody brave for publishing her teenage diaries. Even if I hadn't destroyed all of mine in a fit of paranoia (I was convinced someone would read my inner most secrets!) I don't think I would ever have had the nerve to publish them.

I think any teenage girl who experienced confidence issues (are there any who haven't?) or had a major crush on one of their friends can totally relate to this book. For me, Rae's constant struggle with her weight was something I could really relate to. I think we all know the whole "I'm so fat, I need to go on a diet! Oh I'll have this bar of Dairy Milk to make me feel better about it" scenario that goes round and round in your head.

I don't really have much else to say except that you should all read this book. It paints the perfect picture of late 80s Britain, complete with Thatcherism, the demise of the Berlin Wall and awful music.

Rating :: 4/5

Buy this book at Amazon for Kindle or in paperback.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, this looks like a really good read! Thanks for the review! And thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today :) Happily following your blog via GFC now - looking forward to future posts!

    Best,
    Danielle
    http://awriterinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following :)

      You should definitely check the book out sometime.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Seems like a lovely and interesting book, I'll read it!

    I just followed you on GFC. If you want, we can follow each other on other platforms. Just let me know!

    www.astylevictim.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela :) Thanks for the follow. If you want to follow me on bloglovin' there's a link in my left sidebar or to make it easier, here's the link: http://www.bloglovin.com/bookishgirl

      Anna x

      Delete

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x