Sunday, 22 September 2013

My passions :: Writing

My desk. Please ignore the horrendous scratches. It got damaged when we moved last year.
I've loved to write since I was a nine year old story writer convinced she was going to be the next Jacqueline Wilson. Yeah, I used to dream big! I even did my degree in Writing as I've no doubt said before. But in the last five or so years, I've failed to write anything decent, failed to complete any of the multitude of projects I've started.

But...

For the first time in what feels like forever, I'm actually feeling really motivated and inspired when it comes to my writing. Two days in a row I've sat down at my desk and worked solidly for two or three hours and not even noticed how much time was passing. 

I'm deep into that initial planning stage - I know what I want to write about. I have two protagonists who are going to to tell their story in alternating chapters (well that's the plan at the moment anyway) and I've spent two days on characterisation. This is going to sound completely barmy to anyone who isn't a writer but when I was doing my Writing degree, our prose tutors always insisted that beginning to write when you didn't know who your characters were was pointless. We were taught the technique of interviewing our characters, getting them to answer our questions as though they are real people with a real history and real feelings.

It's always worked for me and so, despite itching to get started on my novel, I'm going to be patient. I'm giving myself a week or so to get into the heads of my characters, listen to what they have to say and what their story really is before I even write a word.

I really want this to happen this time. I'm determined to write this damn novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x