Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Book Q&A

I've seen this fun little book Q&A in a few places recently and decided to give it a go. This should be interesting...

What are you reading right now?
I'm about two thirds of the way through 'The Fault in our Stars' by John Green. I'm also reading a couple of non-fiction books and slogging my way through 'NOS4R2' by Joe Hill (I'm just not feeling it the way I thought I would and so I've been at it for three months!) but TFIOS is my main read right now.

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?
It's a toss up between 'My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary' by Rae Earl and 'The Silver Linings Playbook' by Matthew Quick.

What 5 books have you always wanted to read but haven't gotten around to yet?
'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding, The Complete Journals of Sylvia Plath, 'Thus Zarathustra' by Nietzche, 'The Last Man' by Mary Shelley, and 'Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams' by Sylvia Plath.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom / lounge right now?
This is so geeky but right now the only magazines I have around are The Biomedical Scientist, which is the magazine you get sent when you're a member of The Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS), which is something I had to join for work.

What's the worst book that you've ever read?
That's easy: 'The Birthing House' by Christopher Ransom.

What book seems really popular but you actually hated it?
'Feed' by Mira Grant. I just couldn't get into it at all and ended up abandoning it about halfway in.

What's the book you recommend to just about everyone?
'Prozac Nation' by Elizabeth Wurtzel. I hate to sound like a cliche but that book totally changed my life.

What are your favourite 3 poems?
'Elm' by Sylvia Plath is easily my favourite. But I also love 'I was reading a scientific article' by Margaret Atwood and 'Genetics' by Sinead Morrisey.

Where do you usually get your books?
Most of my books come from charity shops or second hand book stalls. If I buy books new, it's either from Waterstones or this great independent book store in Liverpool called News From Nowhere. And since I've got my Kindle I get ebooks from Amazon and Netgalley.

Where do you usually read your books?
Everywhere. At home, I usually read on the sofa or in bed but I have been known to read standing up in the kitchen while I'm cooking. I take a book everywhere I go and read on public transport, on my breaks at work etc.

When you were little did you have any particular reading habits?
I had this bizarre habit of settling down on the sofa on a Sunday and reading two or three books in a row without moving. I loathed having to leave the house. Also, if I was out somewhere, say at a relatives house and I was nearing the end of the book I was reading and didn't have a second one with me then I'd flip backwards in the book and re-read a whole section so that I wouldn't finish my book and have nothing to read. How strange!

What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn't put it down?
Since working full time, I don't even do that kind of thing anymore. I can't function without a full night's sleep! I'm getting old...

Have you ever faked reading a book?
No. I don't get why people would even want to do that.

Have you ever bought a book just because you like the cover?
I used to do that all the time. When I was about 19, it was all about the aesthetics for me when it came to books. I remember paying £8.99 for a copy of 'The Idiot' with a beautiful cover rather than paying £1.99 for the Dover Thrift copy. I wouldn't do that now but back then it seemed perfectly acceptable to be that discerning about books.

What was your favourite book as a child?
I was obsessed with the Babysitters Club books by Ann M Martin. I also loved the Goosebumps books by R L Stein.

What book changed your life?
As I mentioned earlier, 'Prozac Nation' changed my life. It was the first time I really understood who I was and felt less alone. Apart from that, I read 'Sophie's World' by Jostein Gaarder for the first time when I was 13 and it completely blew my mind, really got me thinking about life in a different way. I think that book changed my whole mindset.

What is your favourite passage from a book?
Because it's fresh in my mind, I'm going to say I love the line 'I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly and then all at once'. I read it last night in 'The Fault in Our Stars' and almost sighed out load at the beauty of it.

Who are your top 5 favourite authors?
Stephen King, Sylvia Plath, J K Rowling, Anne Rice, JRR Tolkein.

What book has no one heard about but should read?
'World Enough and Time' by Emma C Williams.

What is your favourite book from a first time author?
I think that might be 'Heart Shaped Bruise' by Tanya Byrne.

What 3 books are you evangelist for?
'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt, 'Prep' by Curtis Sittenfeld and 'The Virgin Suicides' by Jeffrey Eugenides,

What is your favourite classic?
That's probably 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker. Such an amazing book.

That was actually a really fun little quiz. 
If you're interested in any of the books I've mentioned, you might like to check out my Goodreads profile.



1 comment:

  1. I love reading quizzes like this. love your answers to 'what books are you evangelist about' I heartily agree. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x