Friday, 30 August 2013

What I've Been Watching:
Wentworth

I have a bit of a thing for Prison dramas. One of my favourite TV shows is the American show Oz, and I recently read Mandatory Release by Jess Riley purely because I heard it was set in a prison. I'm not entirely sure what it is about the prison setting but I find it fascinating.

Anyway, this week the first episode of the new Australian drama 'Wentworth' aired on Channel 5. It's sort of an update of an old series called 'Prisoner' (or Prisoner Cell Block H as it was known in the UK) and as soon as I found out about it, I knew I wanted to watch it.

Wentworth is set in a women's prison and follows Bea Smith, a new arrival in Cell Block H2. Via flashbacks we begin to see why Bea ended up there and we begin to kind of sympathise with her and her situation.

Wentworth is full of fascinating and brilliantly portrayed characters. My personal favourite so far is Franky, the ballsy tattooed lesbian leader of the gang. No one messes with Franky. As she says, if you want to eat, sleep or speak to your daughter, you'll do whatever she wants.

I think this series holds a  lot of promise and already it's reminding me a little of Bad Girls. It doesn't shy away from the gritty, hard issues. I can't wait for episode two to air next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x