Monday, 31 December 2012

Books Are the Best Medicine

So today I had an appointment with my GP. It was basically just a catch-up appointment to see how I'm feeling and to issue my new prescription. I also got the results of my repeat blood tests. As predicted my Full Blood Count (to use her words) was "all out of whack". We discussed my ongoing Migraine issues and she said she would chase up my Neurologist (again) and find out when I'll be seeing her in clinic and also for advice about trying a new preventative medication. She also suggested that I switch to a Liverpool-based Psychiatrist so that I can then be referred to a Psychologist. It sounds like a good idea to me.

While I was there, I asked her about something strange that's been happening recently. For the last week or so I've been getting really dizzy and light headed whenever I laugh. It happened last night when I coughed as well. She said she thinks it's some sort of nervous system response causing pre-syncope (meaning that I'm on the verge of fainting but not quite doing so). I have to keep an eye on it until our next appointment in a couple of weeks and if it persists I might need an ECG just to check everything is okay with my heart. I doubt there's anything wrong there. It's just a precaution I guess.

She's agreed to increase my prescription allowance to a fortnight's worth of medication, which is an improvement and she says that as long as I'm still feeling okay, I'm fine to go back to work on the 14th January but not to feel pressured into rushing back.

I came away from the doctor's surgery feeling pretty positive. Things are definitely moving forward.

And then I went and did something that made me even happier. I had some money left over from Christmas presents and decided to splash it all on books. 

I've been waiting for like 2 years for 'The Twelve' to come out and I found it today for half price (£10 for a hardback - not bad!). Of course I couldn't resist. 

I've also been waiting a while to read 'The Marriage Plot'. I adore both of Jeffrey Eugenides other novels and I'm hoping I love this one just as much.

The other two, 'The Art of Fielding' and 'Stonemouth' or sort of impulse buys. I found them on the Buy 1 Get 1 Half Price offer and they both looked like my kind of read. 

One problem... I can't wait to get stuck into them all, which means I really want to zoom through the book I'm currently reading. Oh well, I'd better get my reading head on.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear you're not well. Books really ARE the best medicine though. FEEL BETTER SOON MY DEAR!

    ReplyDelete

I <3 feedback so if you want to make me smile, leave me a comment
x